Cavalry Portfolio Services lawsuits can be intimidating and financially devastating. You need an ally, a trusted advocate who can assist you through this process. You need a debt defense attorney from Chicago Consumer Law Center, P.C., on your side. Lately, we have been receiving numerous calls about Cavalry Portfolio Services, LVNV, Portfolio Recovery Associates, and Midland Credit Management lawsuits.
Let’s Recap: Who is Cavalry Portfolio Services?
Cavalry Portfolio Services is a collection agency that purchases old debt from companies and tries to collect on it. Because the debt is old, they can buy it at extremely cheap rates. They then start making collection calls to collect the debt as fast as they can. Their goal is to collect the full amount of the debt plus interest and penalties.
One of our recent clients told us his story: “Cavalry claimed to have purchased a debt I allegedly owed from Citibank. The only paperwork they sent in their collection efforts was the last statement on my credit card billing cycle. I had tried to ask for validation of the debt but only received the previous billing statement. That’s when I hired Chicago Consumer Law Center. Cavalry is suing me for a debt they can’t prove that I own.“
Remember, Cavalry Portfolio Services is NOT in business to help you or be your ally through this trying time. They will use every method available to them to obtain as much of the debt as quickly as possible. That includes lawsuits.
It is more profitable to litigate than to collect when it comes to debt collection. As part of Cavalry’s litigation efforts, they use the court as their collection agency. Since timing is of the essence, it is critical to hire an experienced consumer law attorney to help guide you through the process.
Why Did I Get a Pre-Legal Notification?
The answer is to scare you into paying the debt collector without understanding your options or rights. Cavalry Portfolio Services does NOT want to have to spend the time and money to sue you. They’d rather scare you into making their life easier by picking up the phone, calling them, and paying them in full.
Does it Matter if Cavalry Portfolio Services or a Law Firm Sent the Letter?
If a law firm sent you the letter, the debt is now in the hands of the law firm, and you should seek competent counsel from a debt defense law firm. The collection law firm is trying to scare you into paying before they go through the time and expense of filing a lawsuit.
If Cavalry Portfolio Services sent the letter, this implies they are using scare tactics to get you to settle the debt without fully understanding all the available options without paying the entire debt.
What Do I Do Now that Cavalry Portfolio Services is Suing me?
If Cavalry Portfolio Services sued you for a debt, it is in your best interest to speak with us sooner rather than later. You must respond to the lawsuit.
If you do not respond, three things will happen:
- Cavalry Portfolio Services will likely file a “request for default,” which means that you no longer have the ability to respond to the lawsuit and defend yourself. Once you have defaulted, you will not be able to disagree with the amount of money you feel you owe.
- Cavalry Portfolio Services may then ask the court to enter a default judgment against you.
- Finally, Cavalry Portfolio Services can enforce the judgment against you by freezing bank accounts, garnishing wages, or putting liens on property.
It’s natural to investigate your options, especially when headed to Cook County Court against Cavalry Portfolio Services. It is critical to hire an experienced consumer law attorney to help guide you through this process.
How Do I Hire the Right Debt Defense Attorney?
These lawsuits are intimidating and financially devastating. You need an ally, a trusted advocate who can assist you through this process. You need a debt defense attorney on your side. When searching, look for a few key things:
- Experience specifically defending against Cavalry Portfolio Services.
- An attorney that has a proven track record of litigating and not simply settling debt right away.
- The law firm is focused on Debt Collection Defense and suing debt collectors. Not just a general practice lawyer.
- Most often, law firms that offer cheap lawsuit protection are using cheap, inexperienced labor (law students, admins, etc.) in your case. Do you want the cheapest doctor operating on you? Do you think a lawyer or law firm that has to churn through cases to keep the lights on is concerned about you or your specific case? You get what you pay for. Avoid problems with your case and future issues and hire the right law firm from the beginning.
- Find a fair-priced attorney who will be personally involved in your case. Be sure to ask what you can expect from the attorney, or will you have a great relationship with their junior employee?
Contact Chicago Consumer Law Center, P.C.
Our law firm has a track record of protecting consumer rights and explaining your options to you when a collection company like Cavalry Portfolio Services takes you to court before they get a default judgment against you. The earlier you contact us, the better options you have. Give us a call at (312) 858-3240 or complete the form on our website to schedule your free strategy session.
Copyright© 2021. Chicago Consumer Law Center, P.C. All rights reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.